The arrival of summer months means alfresco dining at any and every opportunity! It's time to enjoy all of the fantastic produce that is available in abundance at this time of year, and we have just the recipe...
In collaboration with Louise at Cygnet Kitchen we’re delighted to share this nostalgic, refreshing, delicious summer treat, best enjoyed with friends and family.
TOTAL TIME: 2 Hours 30 Mins
INGREDIENTS: 6 free-range egg whites
pinch of salt
350g caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 tsp white wine vinegar
600ml double cream
290g fresh raspberries
4 ripe peaches, stoned and sliced into 8 pieces
2 tablespoons flaked almonds, toasted
FOR THE SAUCE
250g fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon icing sugar, plus extra to taste
2 tablespoons of raspberry liqueur - optional (I use Gibson's Organic Raspberry liqueur)
OR the juice of half a lemon.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4
- Draw two 20cm/8in circles on baking paper and place onto two separate baking trays.
- Place the eggs whites in a large scrupulously clean bowl and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Slowly start to whisk in a tablespoon of sugar at a time until it is all incorporated and the egg whites are glossy and stiff. Add the vinegar and cornflour and whisk again to combine.
- Divide the egg white mix between the two 20cm/8in circles and spread evenly to cover.
- Place the trays in the oven and reduce the temperature to 140C/120C fan/Gas 1. Bake for one hour 15 minutes or until the meringue is crisp on the outside. Switch off the oven, leaving the meringues inside until they are completely cool.
- Meanwhile, make the raspberry sauce by placing the raspberries and icing sugar into a pan. Heat gently until the raspberries break down and then blend in a food processor until smooth. Pass through a sieve and add the raspberry liqueur or lemon juice to taste. Pour into a small jug and set aside.
- When you are ready to serve, carefully remove the baking paper from the meringues and place one on a serving plate.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form when you lift the whisk
- Spread half the cream onto the meringue and arrange half the fruit on top. Top with the other meringue and add the remaining cream and fruit. Sprinkle over the toasted almonds and dust with icing sugar. Serve with the jug of raspberry sauce.
Enjoy this delicious recipe and more at