The perfect pancakes
Keep it simple with our guide to cooking the perfect traditional pancakes. Whether you prefer a sweet or savoury treat, enjoy our simple recipe as your base.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes: 10-12 pancakes
- 100g plain flour & a pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 300ml milk
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Caster sugar
- Lemon juice
- Lemon wedges
- Or your favourite filling
1. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl to air the flour. Make a ‘well’ in the centre of the flour and break the eggs into it. Begin whisking the eggs into the flour, making sure to include the flour from around the edges.
2. Gradually add the milk in small quantities at a time, whilst continuing to whisk. Continue until all the milk has been added. Whisk the mixture until the consistency reaches something similar to that of single cream.
3. Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat, make sure to coat the whole pan with the oil - we recommend our Campden Non-Stick Frying Pans as the perfect size for making pancakes.
4. When hot, add a ladle-full of your pancake mixture and gently tip the pan slightly to ensure the batter spreads evenly around the pan.
5. Thin pancakes should only take a minute to cook either side. So after one minute, using a flat non-stick server/tuner, flip your pancake and cook for a further minute until golden brown in colour.
6. Serve with caster sugar and lemon for the classic taste or swap for any of your favourite fillings. Enjoy!